Becoming a parent is darn hard work! From sleepless nights to the loss of your social life, it’s a whole new world to get used to. Antenatal classes are great but focus mostly on labour, nappy changes and feeding. But when your baby comes, it all flies out the window and there is so much you wish you knew beforehand! That’s why we’ve put together this great list of things everyone should know before becoming a parent.
17 Must Know Facts When Becoming a Parent (Or You Wish You Had Known!)
- Mum brain exists. Expect to forget everything.
- Forget sleep for the first few years. You can wait until they are a teenager, can’t you?
- Trust your instincts. Even if someone says you’re wrong, you are the parent and you know best!
- Wear patterned clothing. It hides stains so much better.
- Babies are expensive. Cloth nappies save you money. Use them.
- Don’t be afraid to make noise when your baby is sleeping. It helps them get used to the daily noises around the home.
- Forget comparing notes with other Mums about your baby’s development. Every baby is different and it’s no use worrying about it.
- Dads can sleep through anything. A crying baby, a screaming baby, a puking baby: everything.
- If you go out, try to leave the house two hours early. You’ll still get there late, but at least you had time to change your clothes, your baby’s clothes, their nappy twice and wash that exploding poo off in the bath.
- You’ll know everything there is to know about My Little Pony, The Wiggles and Sesame Street. This includes being able to recite what the characters say before they say it.
- It’s okay not to like every moment of being a new parent.
- Self-care is really important. Take time to look after you too!
- A second baby isn’t any easier than the first.
- Take photos of you with your kids, not just your kids.
- Housework can wait. Your naps should not.
- Expect to cry, expect to laugh. Your emotions will be all over the place, so go easy on yourself!
- Make the rules yourself. If you don’t want visitors, say no. If you’d rather people text than rang, tell them. You and your partner are the boss now.
Now you’ve read the list of things you need to know before becoming a parent, you’re probably in two camps. The first camp is hysterically laughing on the floor saying, “I know, that’s so true.” The second is reading it saying, “Well, that’s never going to happen to me.” Which one are you in? Tell us below and if you can add any more tips or advice, please share them with us too!